Sunday, October 21, 2007

Home, safe home

I’m sitting reading the newspaper as I normally do everyday (Believe it or not). When I stumbled onto a story in the local news of Sheaff’s family living in a flood plain in Lancaster County. I continued to reader and then, there it was a picture of their home engulfed under water. I sort of sat in disbelief and wondered how a home can be built in such a way, that the lower level of the house is some 7 feet under water, and that the only safe place is on the top floor of the house. I continued to read on in curiosity when, I read that when the house was being built, the flood levels and geographical maps were provided by an outdated FEMA. Then my next question was, how can this happen. How is that a house when in the right season is engulfed with water, and the city safety inspector lets construction continue on the house. I was very curious so I read of another house that was built in Nebraska over a landfill and the high pressure gaseous buildup continued and before anyone knew it, the house erupted in a fire and small explosion. Although no one was hurt, and the floor was only thing that needed to be replaced I wondered,

“Are the city inspector simply passing all the building permits that pass by, in order to create a larger housing sector.” I wonder what the case is, because the point is that this is an important issue, things like this just don’t concern money, it also concerns life’s and the safety of others. It is stories like this, that make people think twice about buying houses. It also raises the question,

“Is home really safe?” If we cannot trust our experts of safety, then who can we trust.

No comments: